In the ‘Watching for jobs …….’ series we are going to be running over Australian Mining and Construction projects from all over the country. In each post we will include an Overview of the project, a Location Profile, the Companies involved, the Occupations required, the skills / qualifications that will help you to get your foot in the door and the Enterprise Bargaining Agreements. This will help you to stay in the loop and know how to skill up where needed. The aim is to help you get yourself into the best position to land a start on the major sites and projects around Australia.
About the Snowy 2.0 Project – NSW
- Estimated $8 billion project that link two dams, via underground tunnels and an underground power station with pumping capabilities.
- Located 3 hours south-west of Canberra, ACT.
- Plan is, power will be generated by falling water turning large reversible turbines. These turbines can then also be used in reverse as pumps to pump water back up during times of low energy demand to be used again during times of higher demand. Essentially using the dams as large batteries.
- Estimated peak workforce of approximately 2,000 people.
- Major EPCM’s now announced in a Joint Venture
- Main works estimated to be conducted between 2019 – 2026, with first power being generated in 2024/25.
Occupations Potentially Required for the Snowy 2.0 Project – NSW
A construction job like this will usually require:
- Electrical & Instrumentation Trades
- Plumbing Trades
- Refrigeration Trades
- Mechanical Trades
- Boilermakers / Welders
- Building Trades/Formworkers
- Mobile Plant Operator / Truck Driver
- Crane Operators
- Labourers / Trades Assistants
- Peggy’s /Cleaning Staff
- Health & Safety
Qualifications that may help you get a foot in at the Snowy 2.0 Project – NSW
- Relevant Trade Qualifications and NSW Licences
- Occupational Health and Safety – Construction Induction (White Card)
- Australian Drivers Licences
- Cert IV or III Instrumentation (For Electricians)
- High Risk Work Licence for any required plant, eg. EWP, Forklifts, Mobile Crane, Loaders.
- Safely Working at Heights – for EWP workers
- Ability to pass Medical including Drug and Alcohol screening.
- Dogging/Rigging/Scaffolding tickets
- CPR and First Aid Certificate
Companies / Organisations Involved with the Snowy 2.0 Project – NSW
- Future Generation JV – Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC)
- Joint Venture between Salini Impregilo, Clough and Lane
- Future Generation Snowy 2.0 Job Opportunities Page
- Future Generation Snowy 2.0 Job Search Page
- Voith – Electrical and Mechanical Components
Note: As we are made aware of further contracts being awarded we will update this article.
For the latest announcements, Major Project, Shut-down and Even-time roster jobs
Interstate Licence Recognition
A helpful tool to finding out whether your trade qualification needs mutual recognition when working interstate.
Check out the Cribhut Daily post – Thinking about Working Interstate – Licence Recognition
Snowy 2.0 Project Enterprise Bargaining Agreements
An Enterprise Bargaining Agreement (EBA) is a collective industrial agreement between either an employer and a trade union acting on behalf of employees or an employer and employees acting for themselves.
We are yet to find any EBA’s for this project. As we find any EBA’s they will be added to this article.
Disclaimer: Cribhut provides this information with the best intentions, but purely as a guide. Like most things in life, there are no guarantees. Your lively hood is your own responsibility and even if following the above recommendations, it is still up to you to do your own research, to be patient, persistent and put in the hard work.
Photo Credit (daily sunny)
The team at Cribhut
Want to stay in the loop with what jobs are going around, receive 10% off training courses and better manage your tickets and resumes?
For all of the above it’s just $22 per month and you can pause, resume, cancel or contact us at anytime.