In the ‘Watching for jobs …….’ series we are going to be running over Australian Mining and Construction projects all over the country. In each post we will include an Overview of the project, the Companies involved, the Occupations required, the skills / qualifications that will help you to get your foot in the door and the Enterprise Bargaining Agreements. This will help you to stay in the loop and know how to skill up where needed. The aim is to help you get yourself into the best position to land a start on the major sites and projects around Australia.
About the BHP Brownfield Expansion (BFX) Project – SA
The BHP Brownfield Expansion (BFX) Project is expansion plan on the drawing board to double copper production by 2023 at BHP’s Olympic Dam site.
- Owner – BHP Billiton.
- Project scope estimated at US$2.1 billion.
- Project is currently in the pre-feasibility stage, and not marked to be approved and start construction until 2021 at this stage. But as this is a big project so we will put it up here now and keep an eye on it.
- Project planned to include expansion of:
- surface infrastructure;
- the smelter and supporting plant;
- the mill;
- the refinery;
- and the mine.
- Located approximately 600 km North of Adelaide.
- If approved, construction is expected to in 2021 and run on to about 2024.
- No indication at this stage on the number of jobs that will be required, but the $350m upgrade which began in 2017 required about 3000.
Occupations Potentially Required for the BHP Brownfield Expansion (BFX) Project – SA
A construction job like this will usually require:
- Mobile Plant Operators / Truck Drivers
- Crane Operators
- Electrical / Instrumentation Trades
- Mechanical Trades
- Metal Trades
- Building Trades/Formworkers
- Labourer / Trades Assistant
- Peggy’s /Cleaning Staff
- Health & Safety
Qualifications that may help you get a foot in at the BHP Brownfield Expansion (BFX) Project – SA
- Relevant Trade Qualifications and SA Licences
- Occupational Health and Safety – Construction Induction (White Card)
- Australian Drivers Licences
- High Risk Work Licence for any required plant, eg. EWP, Forklifts, Mobile Crane, Loaders.
- Safely Working at Heights – for EWP workers
- Ability to pass Medical including Drug and Alcohol screening.
- Dogging/Rigging/Scaffolding tickets
- CPR and First Aid Certificate
- Cert IV or III Instrumentation (For Electricians)
Companies / Organisations Involved with the BHP Brownfield Expansion (BFX) Project – SA
- BHP Billiton – Owner / Operator
Note: As we are made aware of further contracts being awarded we will update this article.
For the latest announcements, Major Project, Shut-down and Even-time roster jobs
Interstate Licence Recognition
A helpful tool to finding out whether your trade qualification needs mutual recognition when working interstate.
Check out the Cribhut Daily post – Thinking about Working Interstate – Licence Recognition
BHP Brownfield Expansion (BFX) Project Enterprise Bargaining Agreements
An Enterprise Bargaining Agreement (EBA) is a collective industrial agreement between either an employer and a trade union acting on behalf of employees or an employer and employees acting for themselves.
We are yet to find any EBA’s for this project. As we find any EBA’s they will be added to this article.
Disclaimer: Cribhut provides this information with the best intentions, but purely as a guide. Like most things in life, there are no guarantees. Your lively hood is your own responsibility and even if following the above recommendations, it is still up to you to do your own research, to be patient, persistent and put in the hard work.
Photo Credit (daily sunny)
The team at Cribhut
Want to stay in the loop with what jobs are going around, receive 10% off training courses, read Shared Investor and go in the draw to win gear and event tickets?
For all of the above it’s just $22 per month and you can pause, resume, cancel or contact us at anytime.