In the ‘Job Sites’ series we run over the major Australian Blue collar job sites from all over this big beautiful country of ours, plus a few other exotic locations. In each post we include an Overview of the site, a Location Profile, the Companies involved, potential Occupations required, the skills / qualifications that may help you to get your foot in the door and the Enterprise Bargaining Agreements – if there are any. This will help you to stay in the loop and know how to skill up where needed. The aim is to help you get yourself into the best position to land a start on the major job sites around Australia.
Note: ‘Job Site’ articles are aimed to help workers looking for production, maintenance, shutdown and contracting work. If you are looking for Major Construction Project Jobs you may want to check out our Major Project Articles.
About Ichthys LNG Darwin – NT
LNG, LPG and Condensate field with offshore and onshore processing facilities in north-western Australia.
- Partial Owner / Operator – INPEX Group
- Approximately $54 Billion (AUD) Liquid Natural Gas project that passed a final investment decision in 2012 and announce the first LNG cargo in October 2018.
- Ichthys LNG comprises of:
- The Ichthys gas and condensate field, in the Browse Basin, about 220 kilometres offshore Western Australia.
- Onshore facilities for processing in Darwin.
- 890 kilometre pipeline from the field to Darwin.
- Floating production, storage and offloading facility permanently moored near the Ichthys field .
- Expected to produce about 8.9 million tonnes of LNG and 1.6 million tonnes of LPG per annum, plus more than 100,000 barrels of condensate per day at peak.
- Estimated that up to 30,000 people globally were working on the construction project at peak, 3,500 of them in the Northern Territory.
- The operational life of the Project is expected to be 40 years or more.
Occupations Potentially Required for Jobs at Ichthys LNG Darwin – NT
- Instrumentation & Electrical Trades
- Mechanical Trades
- Doggers / Riggers / Scaffolders
- Crane Operators
- Plant Operators
- Cleaning Staff
- Labourer / Trades Assistants
- Health & Safety
- Both Onshore and Offshore for above roles.
Qualifications to Potentially Help you get a Job at Ichthys LNG Darwin – NT
- Relevant Trade Qualifications and / or NT Licences
- Occupational Health and Safety – Construction Induction (White Card)
- Australian Drivers Licences
- Basic Offshore Safety Induction and Emergency Training (BOSEIT)
- Tropical Basic Offshore Safety Induction and Emergency Training (TBOSEIT)
- Further Offshore Emergency Training (FOET)
- Tropical Further Offshore Emergency Training (TFOET)
- Travel Safely by Boat Training
- Maritime Security Identification Card (MSIC)
- IRATA Ropes Access Level 1 or higher
- Certificate IV in Hazardous Areas – Electrical Course
- EEHA Installation, Maintenance and Inspection Course
- Cert IV or III Instrumentation (For Electricians)
- High Risk Work Licence for any required plant, eg. EWP, Forklifts, Mobile Crane, Loaders.
- Safe Working in Confined Space Course
- Dogging/Rigging/Scaffolding tickets
- CPR and First Aid Certificate
- Ability to pass Medical including Drug and Alcohol screening.
Companies Involved with Ichthys LNG Darwin – NT
Companies that hold or have held contracts with the Ichthys LNG for shutdowns and/or projects in the past:
- TRACE (JV with Broadspectrum & Actemium) – Six-year onshore maintenance services contract in Darwin, NT.
- Monadelphous – Six year offshore maintenance services contract approximately 450 kilometres from Broome, WA.
- Woods Group – Five year subsea engineering services contract for support of the operations of all subsea assets and the gas export pipeline.
We will continually update this list overtime and share any further announcements.
For the latest announcements, Major Project, Shut-down and Even-time roster jobs
Interstate Licence Recognition
A helpful tool to finding out whether your trade qualification needs mutual recognition when working interstate. Check out the Cribhut Daily post – Thinking about Working Interstate – Licence Recognition
Disclaimer: Cribhut Group is not an employer or recruiter for the above mentioned site, this article is provided for information purposes only. Cribhut provides this information with the best intentions, but purely as a guide. Like most things in life, there are no guarantees. Your lively hood is your own responsibility and even if following the above recommendations, it is still up to you to do your own research, to be patient, persistent and put in the hard work.
Photo Credit (daily sunny)
The team at Cribhut
Want to stay in the loop with what jobs are going around, receive 10% off training courses, read Shared Investor and go in the draw to win gear and event tickets?
For all of the above it’s just $22 per month and you can pause, resume, cancel or contact us at anytime.