In the ‘Job Sites’ series we run over the major Australian Blue collar job sites from all over this big beautiful country of ours, plus a few other exotic locations. In each post we include an Overview of the site, a Location Profile, the Companies involved, potential Occupations required, the skills / qualifications that may help you to get your foot in the door and the Enterprise Bargaining Agreements – if there are any. This will help you to stay in the loop and know how to skill up where needed. The aim is to help you get yourself into the best position to land a start on the major job sites around Australia.
Note: ‘Job Site’ articles are aimed to help workers looking for production, maintenance, shutdown and contracting work. If you are looking for Major Construction Project Jobs you may want to check out our Major Project Articles.
About Caval Ridge Mine – QLD
Metallurgical coal mine, coal handling / preparation plant and train load-out 200km’s South West of Mackay, QLD.
- 100% owned by BHP Billiton Mitsubishi Alliance (BMA)
- BMA is a 50%-50% joint venture between BHP Billiton and Mitsubishi Development Pty Ltd
- $3.4 Billion site project that begun production in 2014 – Australia’s largest greenfield coal project
- Caval Ridge comprises of:
- Open-cut coal mine, using draglines, truck and shovel fleets.
- Coal stackers and reclaimer.
- Site conveyor systems, electrical systems and watersystems.
- Supporting infrastructure
- Constructed to initially produce up to 5.5 million tonnes of coal per annum
- A $200 million Caval Ridge Southern Circuit project (CRSC) expansion project, an 11km overland conveyor system, is currently underway due for completion late 2018.
- Caval Ridge has both residential (Moranbah) and FIFO workers on site.
- After construction it was estimated that Caval Ridge would require about 500 employees during operations.
- The nearest town to Caval Ridge is Moranbah.
- Moranbah has a population of around 8,000 people.
Companies Involved with Olympic Dam
- BHP Billiton Mitsubishi Alliance (BMA) – Owner / Operator
- BHP Billiton – Owner / Operator.
Companies that hold or have held contracts with the Caval Ridge for shutdowns and/or projects in the past:
- G&S Engineering – Initial construction & dragline shutdowns
- Whittens – Initial construction & CRSC project
- Thiess – Initial construction, CRSC project & Mining services
- EC&M -Electrical & Instrumentation (E&I) works at the CRSC Project
We will continually update this list overtime and share any further announcements.
For the latest announcements, Major Project, Shut-down and Even-time roster jobs
Occupations Potentially Required for Jobs at Caval Ridge Mine
- Instrumentation & Electrical Trades
- Mechanical Trades
- Doggers / Riggers / Scaffolders
- Crane Operators
- Plant Operators
- Drillers / Blasters
- Mobile Plant Operators
- Cleaning Staff
- Labourer / Trades Assistants
- Health & Safety
Qualifications to Potentially Help you get a Job at Cannington Mine
- Relevant Trade Qualifications and / or Licences
- Occupational Health and Safety – Construction Induction (White Card)
- Drivers Licence
- Cert IV or III Instrumentation (For Electricians)
- Cert IV Hazardous Areas (For Electricians)
- Cert III in Mine Emergency Response and Rescue (Metal Stream)
- High Risk Work Licence for any required plant, eg. EWP, Forklifts, Mobile Crane, Loaders.
- Safely Working at Heights – for EWP workers
- Safe Working in Confined Space Course
- Dogging/Rigging/Scaffolding tickets
- CPR and First Aid Certificate
- Ability to pass Medical including Drug and Alcohol screening
Interstate Licence Recognition
A helpful tool to finding out whether your trade qualification needs mutual recognition when working interstate. Check out the Cribhut Daily post – Thinking about Working Interstate – Licence Recognition
Disclaimer: Cribhut Group is not an employer or recruiter for the above mentioned site, this article is provided for information purposes only. Cribhut provides this information with the best intentions, but purely as a guide. Like most things in life, there are no guarantees. Your lively hood is your own responsibility and even if following the above recommendations, it is still up to you to do your own research, to be patient, persistent and put in the hard work.
Photo Credit (daily sunny)
The team at Cribhut
Want to stay in the loop with what jobs are going around, receive 10% off training courses, read Shared Investor and go in the draw to win gear and event tickets?
For all of the above it’s just $22 per month and you can pause, resume, cancel or contact us at anytime.