In the ‘Watching for jobs …….’ series we are going to be running over Australian Mining and Construction projects from all over the country. In each post we will include an Overview of the project, a Location Profile, the Companies involved, the Occupations required, the skills / qualifications that will help you to get your foot in the door and the Enterprise Bargaining Agreements. This will help you to stay in the loop and know how to skill up where needed. The aim is to help you get yourself into the best position to land a start on the major sites and projects around Australia.
About the Sunrise (Syerston) Nickel Cobalt Scandium Project – NSW
- $900 million greenfield nickel, cobalt and scandium mine project.
- Located 350 kilometres north-west of Sydney in central New South Wales.
- Plan to mine and process ore from to produce high-purity nickel sulphate, cobalt sulphate and scandium oxide to be sold for use in Lithium Ion batteries, for Electric Vehicles.
- Estimated workforce of approximately 1,000 people for construction.
- Project has been granted development consent by the NSW Department of Planning and Environment.
- Project is not yet confirmed – Definitive Feasibility Study estimated to be completed by the end of 2017 for final investment decision.
- Project owners have purchased Autoclaves for the project, which looks like a promising sign of their commitment.
Occupations Potentially Required for the Sunrise (Syerston) Nickel Cobalt Scandium Project – NSW
A construction job like this will usually require:
- Electrical & Instrumentation Trades
- Plumbing Trades
- Refrigeration Trades
- Mechanical Trades
- Boilermakers / Welders
- Building Trades/Formworkers
- Mobile Plant Operator / Truck Driver
- Crane Operators
- Labourers / Trades Assistants
- Peggy’s /Cleaning Staff
- Health & Safety
Qualifications that may help you get a foot in at the Sunrise (Syerston) Nickel Cobalt Scandium Project – NSW
- Relevant Trade Qualifications and NSW Licences
- Occupational Health and Safety – Construction Induction (White Card)
- Australian Drivers Licences
- Cert IV or III Instrumentation (For Electricians)
- High Risk Work Licence for any required plant, eg. EWP, Forklifts, Mobile Crane, Loaders.
- Safely Working at Heights – for EWP workers
- Ability to pass Medical including Drug and Alcohol screening.
- Dogging/Rigging/Scaffolding tickets
- CPR and First Aid Certificate
Companies / Organisations Involved with the Sunrise (Syerston) Nickel Cobalt Scandium Project – NSW
Note: As we are made aware of further contracts being awarded we will update this article.
For the latest announcements, Major Project, Shut-down and Even-time roster jobs
Interstate Licence Recognition
A helpful tool to finding out whether your trade qualification needs mutual recognition when working interstate.
Check out the Cribhut Daily post – Thinking about Working Interstate – Licence Recognition
Sunrise (Syerston) Nickel Cobalt Scandium Project Enterprise Bargaining Agreements
An Enterprise Bargaining Agreement (EBA) is a collective industrial agreement between either an employer and a trade union acting on behalf of employees or an employer and employees acting for themselves.
We are yet to find any EBA’s for this project. As we find any EBA’s they will be added to this article.
Disclaimer: Cribhut provides this information with the best intentions, but purely as a guide. Like most things in life, there are no guarantees. Your lively hood is your own responsibility and even if following the above recommendations, it is still up to you to do your own research, to be patient, persistent and put in the hard work.
Photo Credit (daily sunny)
The team at Cribhut
Want to stay in the loop with what jobs are going around, receive 10% off training courses, read Shared Investor and go in the draw to win gear and event tickets?
For all of the above it’s just $22 per month and you can pause, resume, cancel or contact us at anytime.