In the ‘Watching for jobs …….’ series we are going to be running over Australian Mining and Construction projects from all over the country. In each post we will include an Overview of the project, a Location Profile, the Companies involved, the Occupations required, the skills / qualifications that will help you to get your foot in the door and the Enterprise Bargaining Agreements. This will help you to stay in the loop and know how to skill up where needed. The aim is to help you get yourself into the best position to land a start on the major sites and projects around Australia.
About the Gawler Rail Electrification Project – SA
- Electrification of the Gawler rail line from Adelaide to Salisbury.
- Stage One is funded by the State Government and will involve electrifying the rail line to Salisbury at a cost of $152.5 million.
- Further funding is being sought to complete to electrification to Gawler.
- Stage one is expected to create approximately 135 jobs per year during construction.
- It is expected the South Australian Government will award the major contract in December 2017.
- Works are estimated to start in early 2018 and run on until approximately June 2020.
- Project works includes:
- Overhead Wiring Elements
- Civil Works
- Pit and Cable Supply
- Rail Protection Services
- Electrical and Traction Power works
- Steel reinforcing
- Structural Steel Fabrication
- Bridge Screens
- Vegetation Removal and Arborist Services
- Plant Hire
- Labour Hire
Occupations Potentially Required for the Gawler Rail Electrification Project – SA
A construction job like this will usually require:
- Electrical & Instrumentation Trades
- Mechanical Trades
- Metal Trades
- Building Trades/Formworkers
- Mobile Plant Operator / Truck Driver
- Crane Operators
- Labourers / Trades Assistants
- Peggy’s /Cleaning Staff
- Health & Safety
Qualifications that may help you get a foot in at the Gawler Rail Electrification Project – SA
- Relevant Trade Qualifications and SA Licences
- Occupational Health and Safety – Construction Induction (White Card)
- Australian Drivers Licences
- Cert IV or III Instrumentation (For Electricians)
- High Risk Work Licence for any required plant, eg. EWP, Forklifts, Mobile Crane, Loaders.
- Safely Working at Heights – for EWP workers
- Ability to pass Medical including Drug and Alcohol screening.
- Dogging/Rigging/Scaffolding tickets
Companies / Organisations Involved with the Gawler Rail Electrification Project – SA
- South Australian Government – Owner
Note: As we are made aware of further contracts being awarded we will update this article.
For the latest announcements, Major Project, Shut-down and Even-time roster jobs
Interstate Licence Recognition
A helpful tool to finding out whether your trade qualification needs mutual recognition when working interstate.
Check out the Cribhut Daily post – Thinking about Working Interstate – Licence Recognition
Gawler Rail Electrification Project Enterprise Bargaining Agreements
An Enterprise Bargaining Agreement (EBA) is a collective industrial agreement between either an employer and a trade union acting on behalf of employees or an employer and employees acting for themselves.
We are yet to find any EBA’s for this project. As we find any EBA’s they will be added to this article.
Disclaimer: Cribhut provides this information with the best intentions, but purely as a guide. Like most things in life, there are no guarantees. Your lively hood is your own responsibility and even if following the above recommendations, it is still up to you to do your own research, to be patient, persistent and put in the hard work.
Photo Credit (daily sunny)
The team at Cribhut
Want to stay in the loop with what jobs are going around, receive 10% off training courses, read Shared Investor and go in the draw to win gear and event tickets?
For all of the above it’s just $22 per month and you can pause, resume, cancel or contact us at anytime.