In the ‘Watching for jobs …….’ series we are going to be running over Australian Mining and Construction projects all over the country. In each post we will include an Overview of the project, a Location Profile, the Companies involved, the Occupations required, the skills / qualifications that will help you to get your foot in the door and the Enterprise Bargaining Agreements. This will help you to stay in the loop and know how to skill up where needed. The aim is to help you get yourself into the best position to land a start on the major sites and projects around Australia.
About the Coopers Gap Wind Farm Project
From AGL’s website
- Coopers Gap Wind Farm will be located 180km north-west of Brisbane, between Dalby and Kingaroy.
- AGL Energy has received a development permit from the Queensland Government to build up to 115 turbines for the Coopers Gap Wind Farm.
- capacity of approximately 460 MW, powering more than 240,000 average Australian homes.
- The wind farm is planned to be connected to a new Powerlink substation along the new Western Downs to Halys 275kV transmission line built by Powerlink.
- estimated cost $800 million
Occupations Potentially Required for the Coopers Gap Wind Farm Project
A construction job like this will usually require:
- Electrical Trades
- Mechanical Trades
- Building Trades
- Mobile Plant Operator / Truck Driver
- Crane Operators
- Labourer / Trades Assistant
- Metal Trades
- Health & Safety
Qualifications that may help you get a foot in at the Coopers Gap Wind Farm Project
- Relevant Trade Qualifications and QLD Licences
- Occupational Health and Safety – Construction Induction (White Card)
- Australian Drivers Licences
- High Risk Work Licence for any required plant, eg. EWP, Forklifts, Mobile Crane, Loaders.
- Safely Working at Heights – for EWP workers
- Ability to pass Medical including Drug and Alcohol screening.
- Dogging/Rigging/Scaffolding tickets
- CPR and First Aid Certificate
Companies / Organisations Involved with the Coopers Gap Wind Farm Project
- AGL – AGL Energy has received a development permit from the Queensland Government to build up to 115 turbines for the Coopers Gap Wind Farm.
- GE & CATCON have won the major contract to develop and build the wind farm. They will be responsible for:
- supply, transportation, erection, fit-out and commissioning of 123 wind generation turbines
- design and construction of turbine foundations, internal road and hardstand network, and electrical reticulation system
- external road upgrades
- construction of an Operations and Maintenance Facility
- GE website
- GE Linkedin page
- CATCON website
- CATCON Linkedin page
Note : This project is progressing through the approval process. At this stage there has been no announcements for tenders or contracts. We are keeping a close eye on this project and will continually update information as it becomes available.
For the latest announcements, Major Project, Shut-down and Even-time roster jobs
Interstate Licence Recognition
A helpful tool to finding out whether your trade qualification needs mutual recognition when working interstate.
Check out the Cribhut Daily post – Thinking about Working Interstate – Licence Recognition
Coopers Gap Wind Farm Project Enterprise Bargaining Agreements
An Enterprise Bargaining Agreement (EBA) is a collective industrial agreement between either an employer and a trade union acting on behalf of employees or an employer and employees acting for themselves.
We are yet to find any EBA’s for this project. As we find any EBA’s they will be added to this article.
Disclaimer: Cribhut provides this information with the best intentions, but purely as a guide. Like most things in life, there are no guarantees. Your lively hood is your own responsibility and even if following the above recommendations, it is still up to you to do your own research, to be patient, persistent and put in the hard work.
Photo Credit (daily sunny)
The team at Cribhut
Want to stay in the loop with what jobs are going around, receive 10% off training courses, read Shared Investor and go in the draw to win gear and event tickets?
For all of the above it’s just $22 per month and you can pause, resume, cancel or contact us at anytime.