In the ‘Watching for jobs …….’ series we are going to be running over Australian Mining and Construction projects from all over the country. In each post we will include an Overview of the project, a Location Profile, the Companies involved, the Occupations required, the skills / qualifications that will help you to get your foot in the door and the Enterprise Bargaining Agreements. This will help you to stay in the loop and know how to skill up where needed. The aim is to help you get yourself into the best position to land a start on the major sites and projects around Australia.
About the Blacktown Hospital Expansion Project
From the NSW GOV website
Stage 2 will create a new hospital building in front of the existing buildings and new facilities for:
- New emergency department with more emergency and short stay beds and a new psychiatric emergency care service and dedicated unit in Emergency
- New intensive care unit with more beds
- Eight new operating theatres and space for future expansion
- New purpose-built wards for expanded birthing (with a well-ness model of care), maternity, women’s health, and newborn care
- New paediatric service with dedicated emergency department facilities, day stay and inpatient facilities
- Medical imaging, sterilising and non-clinical support services expansion
- Contemporary new activity-based workspaces for support staff
- Expanded haemodialysis unit for hospital in-patients.
- New 420-space multi-storey car park, a new covered link into the hospital, a new hospital entry from Panorama Parade and other road improvements to create a more welcoming and easier-to-navigate hospital campus.
Occupations Potentially Required for the Blacktown Hospital Expansion Project
A construction job like this will usually require:
- Electrical Trades
- Mechanical Trades
- A/C Trades
- Building Trades/Formworkers
- Mobile Plant Operator / Truck Driver
- Crane Operators
- Labourer / Trades Assistant
- Metal Trades
- Labourers / Trades Assistants /
- Peggy’s /Cleaning Staff
- Health & Safety
Qualifications that may help you get a foot in at the Blacktown Hospital Expansion Project
- Relevant Trade Qualifications and NSW Licences
- Occupational Health and Safety – Construction Induction (White Card)
- Australian Drivers Licences
- High Risk Work Licence for any required plant, eg. EWP, Forklifts, Mobile Crane, Loaders.
- Safely Working at Heights – for EWP workers
- Ability to pass Medical including Drug and Alcohol screening.
- Dogging/Rigging/Scaffolding tickets
- CPR and First Aid Certificate
Companies / Organisations Involved with the Blacktown Hospital Expansion Project
- NSW Gov Health – Owner of the Blacktown Hospital.
- AW Edwards – awarded tender to construct the new acute services building at Blacktown Hospital which is scheduled to open in 2019.
- Taylor Constructions – Further car park expansion will deliver another 422 spaces, expected to open in 2017.
Note: As we are made aware of further contracts being awarded we will update this article.
For the latest announcements, Major Project, Shut-down and Even-time roster jobs
Interstate Licence Recognition
A helpful tool to finding out whether your trade qualification needs mutual recognition when working interstate.
Check out the Cribhut Daily post – Thinking about Working Interstate – Licence Recognition
Blacktown Hospital Expansion Project Enterprise Bargaining Agreements
An Enterprise Bargaining Agreement (EBA) is a collective industrial agreement between either an employer and a trade union acting on behalf of employees or an employer and employees acting for themselves.
We are yet to find any EBA’s for this project. As we find any EBA’s they will be added to this article.
Disclaimer: Cribhut provides this information with the best intentions, but purely as a guide. Like most things in life, there are no guarantees. Your lively hood is your own responsibility and even if following the above recommendations, it is still up to you to do your own research, to be patient, persistent and put in the hard work.
Photo Credit (daily sunny)
The team at Cribhut
Want to stay in the loop with what jobs are going around, receive 10% off training courses, read Shared Investor and go in the draw to win gear and event tickets?
For all of the above it’s just $22 per month and you can pause, resume, cancel or contact us at anytime.