In the ‘Job Sites’ series we run over the major Australian Blue collar job sites from all over this big beautiful country of ours, plus a few other exotic locations. In each post we include an Overview of the site, a Location Profile, the Companies involved, potential Occupations required, the skills / qualifications that may help you to get your foot in the door and the Enterprise Bargaining Agreements – if there are any. This will help you to stay in the loop and know how to skill up where needed. The aim is to help you get yourself into the best position to land a start on the major job sites around Australia.
Note: ‘Job Site’ articles are aimed to help workers looking for production, maintenance, shutdown and contracting work. If you are looking for Major Construction Project Jobs you may want to check out our Major Project Articles.
About the Snowy Hydro Scheme
The Snowy Mountains Scheme consists of 9 major power stations producing on average, 4500 gigawatt-hours of clean renewable electricity each year.
- Owned by the New South Wales, Victorian and Commonwealth Governments.
- The Snowy Hydro scheme is located in Kosciuszko National Park.
- The largest engineering project ever undertaken in Australia.
- The Snowy Hydro scheme began construction in 1949 and took twenty-five years to complete.
- One of the largest and most complex hydro-electric schemes in the world.
- The Snowy Hyrdo scheme comprises of:
- 225 kilometres of tunnels, pipelines and aqueducts.
- sixteen major dams
- a pumping station
- nine power stations
- Murray 1 – 950 megawatts, completed in 1967
- Murray 2 – 550 megawatts, completed in 1969
- Blowering – 80 megawatts, completed in 1967
- Guthega – 60 megawatts, completed in 1955
- Tumut 1 – 330 megawatts, completed in 1958
- Tumut 2 – 286 megawatts, completed in 1961
- Tumut 3 – 1,650 megawatts, completed in 1974
- Jounama Small Hydro Power Station – 14.4 megawatts, completed in 2010
- Jindabyne Mini Hydro Power Station – 1.1 megawatts, complete in 2011
- 33 hydro-electric turbines
- The Snowy Hydro Scheme employees about 500 people across three states.
- Employees live in and around Jindabyne, Cooma, Corryong, Tumut, Cabramurra, Khancoban, Tumbarumba and Talbingo
Companies Involved with the Snowy Hydro Scheme
- Snowy Hydro – Owner / Operator.
Companies that hold or have held contracts with the Snowy Hydro Scheme for shutdowns and/or projects in the past:
- Thiess – Original Snowy Hydro Project tunnelling contracts
We will continually update this list overtime and share any further announcements.
For the latest announcements, Major Project, Shut-down and Even-time roster jobs
Occupations Potentially Required for Jobs at the Snowy Hydro Scheme
- Instrumentation & Electrical Trades
- Mechanical Trades
- Crane Operator
- Doggers / Riggers / Scaffolders
- Plant Operators
- Mobile Plant Operators
- Cleaning Staff
- Labourer / Trades Assistants
- Health & Safety
Qualifications to Potentially Help you get a Job at the Snowy Hydro Scheme
- Relevant Trade Qualifications and / or NSW Licences
- Occupational Health and Safety – Construction Induction (White Card)
- Drivers Licence
- Cert IV or III Instrumentation (For Electricians)
- Cert III in Mine Emergency Response and Rescue (Metal Stream)
- High Risk Work Licence for any required plant, eg. EWP, Forklifts, Mobile Crane, Loaders.
- Safely Working at Heights – for EWP workers
- Safe Working in Confined Space Course
- Dogging/Rigging/Scaffolding tickets
- CPR and First Aid Certificate
- Ability to pass Medical including Drug and Alcohol screening
Interstate Licence Recognition
A helpful tool to finding out whether your trade qualification needs mutual recognition when working interstate. Check out the Cribhut Daily post – Thinking about Working Interstate – Licence Recognition
Disclaimer: Cribhut Group is not an employer or recruiter for the above mentioned site, this article is provided for information purposes only. Cribhut provides this information with the best intentions, but purely as a guide. Like most things in life, there are no guarantees. Your lively hood is your own responsibility and even if following the above recommendations, it is still up to you to do your own research, to be patient, persistent and put in the hard work.
Photo Credit (daily sunny)
The team at Cribhut
Want to stay in the loop with what jobs are going around, receive 10% off training courses, read Shared Investor and go in the draw to win gear and event tickets?
For all of the above it’s just $22 per month and you can pause, resume, cancel or contact us at anytime.