In the ‘How to get a start at …….’ series we are going to be running over Australian Mining and Construction projects all over the country. In each post we will include an Overview of the project, a Location Profile, the Companies involved, the Occupations required, the skills / qualifications that will help you to get your foot in the door and the Enterprise Bargaining Agreements. This will help you to stay in the loop and know how to skill up where needed. The aim is to help you get yourself into the best position to land a start on the major sites and projects around Australia.
About the Amrun Bauxite Project
Rio Tinto will expand output from one of the world’s premier bauxite deposits following approval of the US$1.9 billion Amrun bauxite project.
Armun Bauxite Project involves the construction of a bauxite mine and associated processing and port facilities on the Cape York Peninsula in north Queensland.
The planned initial output is 22.8 million tonnes a year1, replacing production from the depleting East Weipa mine and increasing annual bauxite exports from Cape York by around 10 million tonnes.
Production and shipping from the Amrun project are expected to commence in the first half of 2019, ramping up to full production by the end of the year. The project’s design provides options for future expansion to 50 million tonnes a year. The majority of capital expenditure for the Amrun project is scheduled for 2017 and 2018.
At its peak, construction of the project is expected to provide work for around 1100 people. Once operational, Amrun will help to support ongoing employment for the existing workforce of around 1400 employees and contractors at Rio Tinto’s Cape York bauxite operations.
Occupations Required at the Amrun Bauxite Project
- Electrical Trades
- Mechanical Trades
- Building Trades
- Rigging / Scaffolding
- Mobile Plant Operators / Truck Drivers
- Cleaning Staff
- Crane Operators
- Labourers / Trades Assistants
- Metal Trades
- Health & Safety
Qualifications to help you get a foot in at the Amrun Bauxite Project
- Relevant Trade Qualifications and / or QLD Licences
- Occupational Health and Safety – Construction Induction (White Card)
- Australian Drivers Licences
- High Risk Work Licence for any required plant, eg. EWP, Forklifts, Mobile Crane, Loaders.
- Safely Working at Heights – for EWP workers
- Ability to pass Medical including Drug and Alcohol screening
- Dogging/Rigging/Scaffolding tickets
- CPR and First Aid Certificate
Companies Involved with the Amrun Bauxite Project
- Rio Tinto – Owner – The Amrun Bauxite Project was approved and officially announced by Rio Tinto on 27/11/2105.
- Bechtel Australia – Rio Tinto has appointed Bechtel Australia Pty Ltd as the projects Engineering, Procurement and Construction Manager (EPCM)
- Becthel Australia Recruitment Portal – Though not yet updated yet, history shows that Becthel usually take expressions of interest from a link displayed on this page
- Goodline – Barge and Ferry berths and Accommodation Village (Design and Construction).
- McConnell Dowell – Export Facility
- Civmec have been awarded 2 contracts:
- Construction of the Process Facility including a bauxite beneficiation plant and associated water, electrical and lighting systems.
- The second (awarded by Sandvik) includes the part supply, fabrication, surface treatment, mechanical and electrical install and the modularisation of a stacker, reclaimer and shiploader for bauxite material handling.
- Civmec Contract Announcement
- Civmec Careers Page
- Civemc Linkedin Page
- Civmec have been awarded 2 contracts:
- Awarded a bulk earthworks contract valued at $70 million. Development of critical mine infrastructure at its world-class Amrun bauxite project on Cape York. QBirt will also develop the mine stockpile zone, tailings and separation ponds and other critical site infrastructure.
- QBirt Contract Announcement
- Fulton Hogan
- Secured a circa $50m contract, scope includes the design, fabrication, supply, delivery, construction, installation, testing and commissioning of the Mine Infrastructure Area at the Amrun project, 40kms south of Weipa, Queensland.
- Decmil Contract Announcement
- Decmil Careers Page
- Decmil Linkedin Page
We are keeping a keen eye on all announcements and this post will be continually updated over the life of the Amrun Project.
To stay in the loop with the latest announcements, Major Project, Shut-down and Even-time roster jobs
Interstate Licence Recognition
A helpful tool to finding out whether your trade qualification needs mutual recognition when working interstate.
Check out the Cribhut Daily post – Thinking about Working Interstate – Licence Recognition
Armun Bauxite Project Union Greenfields Enterprise Bargaining Agreements
An Enterprise Bargaining Agreement (EBA) is a collective industrial agreement between either an employer and a trade union acting on behalf of employees or an employer and employees acting for themselves.
At this stage of the project no EBA’s are available for the Amrun Bauxite Project. As any EBA’s are released they will be updated into this article.
Disclaimer: Cribhut provides this information with the best intentions, but purely as a guide. Like most things in life, there are no guarantees. Your lively hood is your own responsibility and even if following the above recommendations, it is still up to you to do your own research, to be patient, persistent and put in the hard work.
Photo Credit (daily sunny)
The team at Cribhut
Want to stay in the loop with what jobs are going around, receive 10% off training courses, read Shared Investor and go in the draw to win gear and event tickets?
For all of the above it’s just $22 per month and you can pause, resume, cancel or contact us at anytime.