In the ‘Job Sites’ series we run over the major Australian Blue collar job sites from all over this big beautiful country of ours, plus a few other exotic locations. In each post we include an Overview of the site, a Location Profile, the Companies involved, potential Occupations required, the skills / qualifications that may help you to get your foot in the door and the Enterprise Bargaining Agreements – if there are any. This will help you to stay in the loop and know how to skill up where needed. The aim is to help you get yourself into the best position to land a start on the major job sites around Australia.
Note: ‘Job Site’ articles are aimed to help workers looking for production, maintenance, shutdown and contracting work. If you are looking for Major Construction Project Jobs you may want to check out our Major Project Articles.
About Olympic Dam Mine
Copper, gold, silver and uranium mine 560km’s north of Adelaide, SA.
- 100% owned by BHP.
- One of the world’s largest ore bodies.
- Olympic Dam comprises of:
- more than 450 kilometres of underground roads and tunnels;
- a mine depth of 860 metres;
- automated train to feed underground crushing, storage and ore hoisting facilities;
- processing plant consisting of two grinding circuits;
- a hydrometallurgical plant;
- a copper smelter;
- a copper refinery;
- and a recovery circuit for precious metals.
- For the 2016 Year Olympic Dam produced:
- 78,100 tonnes of Copper cathode;
- 54,017 troy ounces of refined gold;
- 35,200 troy ounces of refined silver;
- and 1,976 tonnes of payable Uranium in concentrate.
- The 2013 Annual Report estimated a mine life of 56 years.
- The Olympic Dam Brownfield Expansion (BFX) project, is now at concept study phase.
- Olympic Dam has both residential and FIFO workers on site.
- The nearest town to Olympic Dam is Roxby Downs.
- Roxby Downs has a highly transient population of around 4,000 people.
Companies Involved with Olympic Dam
- BHP Billiton – Owner / Operator.
Companies that hold or have held contracts with the Olympic Dam for shutdowns and/or projects in the past:
- MacMahon – Four year contract to perform raised drilling services from 2014.
- Monadelphous – Maintenance and industrial services support. 5 year extension from July 2016
- Gorey & Cole Drillers (Easternwell) – Surface Drilling Services. 3 year contract with 2 one year renewal options from April 2015.
We will continually update this list overtime and share any further announcements.
For the latest announcements, Major Project, Shut-down and Even-time roster jobs
Occupations Potentially Required for Jobs at Olympic Dam Mine
- Instrumentation & Electrical Trades
- Mechanical Trades
- Doggers / Riggers / Scaffolders
- Plant Operators
- Drillers / Blasters
- Mobile Plant Operators
- Underground Plant Operators
- Underground Mobile Plant Operators
- Cleaning Staff
- Labourer / Trades Assistants
- Health & Safety
Qualifications to Potentially Help you get a Job at Cannington Mine
- Relevant Trade Qualifications and / or Licences
- Occupational Health and Safety – Construction Induction (White Card)
- Drivers Licence
- Cert IV or III Instrumentation (For Electricians)
- Cert IV Hazardous Areas (For Electricians)
- Cert III in Mine Emergency Response and Rescue (Metal Stream)
- High Risk Work Licence for any required plant, eg. EWP, Forklifts, Mobile Crane, Loaders.
- Safely Working at Heights – for EWP workers
- Safe Working in Confined Space Course
- Dogging/Rigging/Scaffolding tickets
- CPR and First Aid Certificate
- Ability to pass Medical including Drug and Alcohol screening
Interstate Licence Recognition
A helpful tool to finding out whether your trade qualification needs mutual recognition when working interstate. Check out the Cribhut Daily post – Thinking about Working Interstate – Licence Recognition
Disclaimer: Cribhut Group is not an employer or recruiter for the above mentioned site, this article is provided for information purposes only. Cribhut provides this information with the best intentions, but purely as a guide. Like most things in life, there are no guarantees. Your lively hood is your own responsibility and even if following the above recommendations, it is still up to you to do your own research, to be patient, persistent and put in the hard work.
Photo Credit (daily sunny)
The team at Cribhut
Want to stay in the loop with what jobs are going around, receive 10% off training courses, read Shared Investor and go in the draw to win gear and event tickets?
For all of the above it’s just $22 per month and you can pause, resume, cancel or contact us at anytime.