In the ‘Job Sites’ series we run over the major Australian Blue collar job sites from all over this big beautiful country of ours, plus a few other exotic locations. In each post we include an Overview of the site, a Location Profile, the Companies involved, potential Occupations required, the skills / qualifications that may help you to get your foot in the door and the Enterprise Bargaining Agreements – if there are any. This will help you to stay in the loop and know how to skill up where needed. The aim is to help you get yourself into the best position to land a start on the major job sites around Australia.
Note: ‘Job Site’ articles are aimed to help workers looking for production, maintenance, shutdown and contracting work. If you are looking for Major Construction Project Jobs you may want to check out our Major Project Articles.
About The Port of Hay Point
The Port of Hay Point is located 40kms south of Mackay and comprises of two coal export terminals:
- the Dalrymple Bay Coal Terminal (DBCT) and;
- the Hay Point Coal Terminal (HPCT)
- Port of Hay Point is one of the largest coal export ports in the world.
- The Port of Hay Point is leased from the State Government by DBCT Management Pty Ltd and by the Hay Point Coal Terminal (HPCT).
- DBCT Management have a contract with Dalrymple Bay Coal Terminal Pty Ltd (DBCT P/L), a company owned by a group of mining companies using the terminal, to operate and maintain the terminal.
- Hay Point Coal Terminal is owned by BHP Billiton Mitsubishi Alliance and operated by Hay Point Services.
- The port terminals are linked to the coal mines via a rail network.
- Total throughput for the port was 114,976,504 tonnes in the 2014 / 2015 year.
- Mackay has a population of about 85,000 (2015), a domestic airport and is only 150km’s to Airlie Beach, the gateway to the Whitsunday Islands.
Companies Involved with The Port of Hay Point
- Dalrymple Bay Coal Terminal Pty Ltd – Operator / Maintainer.
- BHP Billiton Mitsubishi Alliance (BMA) – Operator / Maintainer at Hay Point Coal Terminal (HPCT)
Companies that hold or have held contracts at the Port of Hay Point for construction or shutdown projects in the past:
- G&S Engineering Services – Hay Point Coal Terminal Expansion Project
- Walz Group – Hay Point Coal Terminal Expansion Project
- York Civil – Hay Point Coal Terminal Expansion Project
- John Holland – Dalrymple Bay Coal Terminal Marine Project
- Golding – Dalrymple Bay Coal Terminal Water Quality Improvement Project
We will continually update this list overtime and share any further announcements.
For the latest announcements, Major Project, Shut-down and Even-time roster jobs
Occupations Potentially Required for Jobs at The Port of Hay Point
- Electrical & Instrumentation Trades
- Mechanical Trades
- Air Conditioning / Refigeration Trades
- Plant Operators
- Crane Operators
- Mobile Plant Operators
- Cleaning Staff
- Labourer / Trades Assistants
- Health & Safety
Qualifications to Potentially Help you get a Job at The Port of Hay Point
- Relevant Trade Qualifications and / or QLD Licences
- Occupational Health and Safety – Construction Induction (White Card)
- Drivers Licences
- Cert IV or III Instrumentation (For Electricians)
- High Risk Work Licence for any required plant, eg. EWP, Forklifts, Mobile Crane, Loaders.
- Safely Working at Heights – for EWP workers
- Safe Working in Confined Space Course
- Dogging/Rigging/Scaffolding tickets
- CPR and First Aid Certificate
- Ability to pass Medical including Drug and Alcohol screening
Interstate Licence Recognition
A helpful tool to finding out whether your trade qualification needs mutual recognition when working interstate. Check out the Cribhut Daily post – Thinking about Working Interstate – Licence Recognition
Disclaimer: Cribhut Group is not an employer or recruiter for the above mentioned site, this article is provided for information purposes only. Cribhut provides this information with the best intentions, but purely as a guide. Like most things in life, there are no guarantees. Your lively hood is your own responsibility and even if following the above recommendations, it is still up to you to do your own research, to be patient, persistent and put in the hard work.
Photo Credit (daily sunny)
The team at Cribhut
Want to stay in the loop with what jobs are going around, receive 10% off training courses, read Shared Investor and go in the draw to win gear and event tickets?
For all of the above it’s just $22 per month and you can pause, resume, cancel or contact us at anytime.