In the ‘Watching for jobs …….’ series we are going to be running over Australian Mining and Construction projects all over the country. In each post we will include an Overview of the project, a Location Profile, the Companies involved, the Occupations required, the skills / qualifications that will help you to get your foot in the door and the Enterprise Bargaining Agreements. This will help you to stay in the loop and know how to skill up where needed. The aim is to help you get yourself into the best position to land a start on the major sites and projects around Australia.
About the Dugald River Mine Project
Approximately $1.4 billion zinc mine project, north-west of Cloncurry in Queensland.
- Owner – MMG, Hong Kong and Australian Listed resources company.
- Dugald River Mine is one of the world’s highest known grades of zinc deposits.
- Project scope approximately $1.4 billon.
- Project Financing announced on the 27th June 2016.
- First zinc concentrate production is expected in the first half of 2018.
- Estimated the project will create 600 construction jobs and 400 jobs during the 25-30 years of operations.
- Project granted ‘Prescribed Project’ status by Queensland Government to fast track the approvals process.
Occupations Potentially Required for the Dugald River Mine Project
A construction job like this will usually require:
- Mobile Plant Operators / Truck Drivers
- Crane Operators
- Electrical Trades
- Mechanical Trades
- Metal Trades
- Building Trades/Formworkers
- Labourer / Trades Assistant
- Peggy’s /Cleaning Staff
- Health & Safety
Qualifications that may help you get a foot in at the Dugald River Mine Project
- Relevant Trade Qualifications and QLD Licences
- Occupational Health and Safety – Construction Induction (White Card)
- Australian Drivers Licences
- High Risk Work Licence for any required plant, eg. EWP, Forklifts, Mobile Crane, Loaders.
- Safely Working at Heights – for EWP workers
- Ability to pass Medical including Drug and Alcohol screening.
- Dogging/Rigging/Scaffolding tickets
- CPR and First Aid Certificate
Companies / Organisations Involved with the Dugald River Mine Project
- Whittens – Earthworks, roads, drainage, buried services, detailed earthworks and 6,500m3 of structural concrete construction
- RCR – Construction of processing plant, SMP and E&I.
- Wagners – Provision of onsite concrete plant and production of concrete for process plant, camp and site civil requirements.
Note: As we are made aware of further contracts being awarded we will update this article.
For the latest announcements, Major Project, Shut-down and Even-time roster jobs
Interstate Licence Recognition
A helpful tool to finding out whether your trade qualification needs mutual recognition when working interstate.
Check out the Cribhut Daily post – Thinking about Working Interstate – Licence Recognition
Dugald River Mine Project Enterprise Bargaining Agreements
An Enterprise Bargaining Agreement (EBA) is a collective industrial agreement between either an employer and a trade union acting on behalf of employees or an employer and employees acting for themselves.
We are yet to find any EBA’s for this project. As we find any EBA’s they will be added to this article.
Disclaimer: Cribhut provides this information with the best intentions, but purely as a guide. Like most things in life, there are no guarantees. Your lively hood is your own responsibility and even if following the above recommendations, it is still up to you to do your own research, to be patient, persistent and put in the hard work.
Photo Credit (daily sunny)
The team at Cribhut
Want to stay in the loop with what jobs are going around, receive 10% off training courses, read Shared Investor and go in the draw to win gear and event tickets?
For all of the above it’s just $22 per month and you can pause, resume, cancel or contact us at anytime.