In the ‘Watching for jobs …….’ series we are going to be running over Australian Mining and Construction projects all over the country. In each post we will include an Overview of the project, a Location Profile, the Companies involved, the Occupations required, the skills / qualifications that will help you to get your foot in the door and the Enterprise Bargaining Agreements. This will help you to stay in the loop and know how to skill up where needed. The aim is to help you get yourself into the best position to land a start on the major sites and projects around Australia.
About the Northlink WA Project
A $1.12 billion project funded by both state and federal budgets to improve the transportation system in Perth, Western Australia between between Morley and Muchea.
- Perth, Western Australia
- Federal and State Governments invested $1.12 billion
- NorthLink WA will be constructed in three sections:
- Southern Section: Guildford Road to Reid Highway
- Central Section: Reid Highway to Ellenbrook
- Northern Section: Ellenbrook to Muchea
- Construction Timings:
- Southern Section: June 2016 to early 2018
- Central Section: Early 2017 to mid 2019
- Northern Section: Mid 2017 to mid 2019
- Mainroads Western Australia has an information portal here
Occupations Potentially Required at the NorthLink WA Project
We expect a construction job like this will require:
- Electrical Trades
- Mechanical Trades
- Metal Trades
- Formworkers / Concreters
- Dogging / Rigging / Scaffolding
- Mobile Plant Operators / Truck Drivers
- Crane Operators
- Labourers / Trades Assistants /
- Peggy’s /Cleaning Staff
- Health & Safety
Qualifications that could help you get a foot in at the NorthLink WA Project
- Relevant Trade Qualifications and / or WA Licences
- Occupational Health and Safety – Construction Induction (White Card)
- Australian Drivers Licences
- High Risk Work Licence for any required plant, eg. EWP, Forklifts, Mobile Crane, Loaders.
- Safely Working at Heights – for EWP workers
- Ability to pass Medical including Drug and Alcohol screening
- Dogging/Rigging/Scaffolding tickets
- CPR and First Aid Certificate
Companies / Organisations Involved with the NorthLink WA Project
Southern Section: Guildford Road to Reid Highway
- John Holland – Design and Construct Contract
Central Section: Reid Highway to Ellenbrook
- Great Northern Connect (GNC) Team – joint venture with Laing O’Rourke Australia Construction Pty Ltd and BGC Contracting Pty Ltd.
- Laing O’Rouke
- BGC Contracting
Northern Section: Ellenbrook to Muchea
- Tenders have now closed for the Northern Section of the NorthLink WA Project. We will update this space when a contractor/s are announced.
Other Trade contractors – Other contractors will no doubt receive further contracts on this project – we will update this as announcements are made.
For the latest announcements, Major Project, Shut-down and Even-time roster jobs
Interstate Licence Recognition
A helpful tool to finding out whether your trade qualification needs mutual recognition when working interstate.
Check out the Cribhut Daily post – Thinking about Working Interstate – Licence Recognition
NorthLink WA Project Union Greenfields Enterprise Bargaining Agreements
An Enterprise Bargaining Agreement (EBA) is a collective industrial agreement between either an employer and a trade union acting on behalf of employees or an employer and employees acting for themselves.
At this stage of the project no EBA’s are available for this project. As any EBA’s are released they will be updated into this article.
Disclaimer: Cribhut provides this information with the best intentions, but purely as a guide. Like most things in life, there are no guarantees. Your lively hood is your own responsibility and even if following the above recommendations, it is still up to you to do your own research, to be patient, persistent and put in the hard work.
Photo Credit (daily sunny)
The team at Cribhut
Want to stay in the loop with what jobs are going around, receive 10% off training courses, read Shared Investor and go in the draw to win gear and event tickets?
For all of the above it’s just $22 per month and you can pause, resume, cancel or contact us at anytime.