In the ‘Watching for jobs …….’ series we are going to be running over Australian Mining and Construction projects all over the country. In each post we will include an Overview of the project, a Location Profile, the Companies involved, the Occupations required, the skills / qualifications that will help you to get your foot in the door and the Enterprise Bargaining Agreements. This will help you to stay in the loop and know how to skill up where needed. The aim is to help you get yourself into the best position to land a start on the major sites and projects around Australia.
About the Inland Rail Project
The Inland Rail Project is a planned 1700km freight rail line from Melbourne to Brisbane, via regional Victoria, New South Wales and Queensland.
- Victoria, New South Wales, Queensland.
- The Inland Rail has been a concept for a long time and now the Australian Government are beginning to move forward.
- In 2013, the Government committed $300 million to the Inland Rail Project and tasked the Australian Rail Track Corporation with developing a detailed business case, a 10 year delivery plan and undertaking environmental assessments, planning approvals and design.
- Recently, the Federal Government has committed $594 million to fund inland rail in the Budget.
- Construction is estimated to cost approximately $10 billion.
- It is estimated that Inland Rail will be constructed over a 10 year period.
- Engineering and Environment Tenders were recently awarded in February and March 2016.
- The Australian Government has an information portal here.
Occupations Potentially Required at the Inland Rail Project
A construction job like this will usually require:
- Electrical Trades
- Mechanical Trades
- Building Trades/Formworkers
- Mobile Plant Operator / Truck Driver
- Crane Operators
- Labourer / Trades Assistant
- Metal Trades
- Labourers / Trades Assistants /
- Peggy’s /Cleaning Staff
- Health & Safety
Qualifications to potentially help you get a foot in at the Inland Rail Project
- Relevant Trade Qualifications and / or VIC, NSW and /or QLD Licences
- Occupational Health and Safety – Construction Induction (White Card)
- Australian Drivers Licences
- High Risk Work Licence for any required plant, eg. EWP, Forklifts, Mobile Crane, Loaders.
- Safely Working at Heights – for EWP workers
- Ability to pass Medical including Drug and Alcohol screening.
- Dogging/Rigging/Scaffolding tickets
- CPR and First Aid Certificate
Companies Involved with the Inland Rail Project
- Australian Government – 100% owner of ARTC – the corporation tasked with developing a detailed business case, a 10 year delivery plan and undertaking environmental assessments, planning approvals and design.
- INLink (Fulton Hogan and BMD Constructions JV) – awarded construction contract of more than $300 million to construct the first section of Inland Rail between Parkes to Narromine in NSW.
Note: As yet we have not seen any contracts awarded to any EPCM’s or sub-contractors. We will update this space as soon as we are aware that announcements are made.
For the latest announcements, Major Project, Shut-down and Even-time roster jobs
Interstate Licence Recognition
A helpful tool to finding out whether your trade qualification needs mutual recognition when working interstate.
Check out the Cribhut Daily post – Thinking about Working Interstate – Licence Recognition
Inland Rail Project Enterprise Bargaining Agreements
An Enterprise Bargaining Agreement (EBA) is a collective industrial agreement between either an employer and a trade union acting on behalf of employees or an employer and employees acting for themselves.
At this stage of the project no EBA’s are available. As any EBA’s are released they will be updated into this article.
If you ever want to look up an EBA yourself – here’s the link.
Disclaimer: Cribhut provides this information with the best intentions, but purely as a guide. Like most things in life, there are no guarantees. Your lively hood is your own responsibility and even if following the above recommendations, it is still up to you to do your own research, to be patient, persistent and put in the hard work.
Photo Credit (daily sunny)
The team at Cribhut
Want to stay in the loop with what jobs are going around, receive 10% off training courses, read Shared Investor and go in the draw to win gear and event tickets?
For all of the above it’s just $22 per month and you can pause, resume, cancel or contact us at anytime.