In the ‘Job Sites’ series we run over the major Australian Blue collar job sites from all over this big beautiful country of ours, plus a few other exotic locations. In each post we include an Overview of the site, a Location Profile, the Companies involved, potential Occupations required, the skills / qualifications that may help you to get your foot in the door and the Enterprise Bargaining Agreements – if there are any. This will help you to stay in the loop and know how to skill up where needed. The aim is to help you get yourself into the best position to land a start on the major job sites around Australia.
Note: ‘Job Site’ articles are aimed to help workers looking for production, maintenance, shutdown and contracting work. If you are looking for Major Construction Project Jobs you may want to check out our Major Project Articles.
About the ‘Super Pit’ and Surrounding Gold Mines
- Barrick Australia Pacific Pty Ltd and Newmont Asia Pacific Ltd are 50/50 JV owners of the management company Kalgoorlie Consolidated Gold Mines (KCGM). Who operate,
- the Fimiston Open Pit (Super Pit),
- Mt Charlotte Underground Mine,
- the Fimiston Processing Plants,
- Gidji Processing Plants.
- 50/50 owned by Barrick Australia Pacific Pty Ltd and Newmont Asia Pacific Ltd
- The mines are near the City of Kalgoorlie-Boulder in the Goldfields-Esperance region approximately 600 km’s east of Perth in Western Australia
- The Super Pit is approximately 3.6 kilometres long, 1.6 kilometres wide and 512 metres deep
- KCGM produces around 700,000 ounces of gold each year
- KCGM Life of Mine Plan sees gold processing until around 2029
- KCGM continues to look for opportunities to extend mine life
- KCGM is a residential mine site. Its 1,100 employees and contractors live in the Kalgoorlie-Boulder
- In 2011 Kalgoorlie had a population of 31,107
Companies Involved with the ‘Super Pit’ and Surrounding Gold Mines
- Barrick Australia Pacific Pty Ltd – Barrick Careers
- Newmont Asia Pacific Ltd – Newmont Careers
- Kalgoorlie Consolidated Gold Mines (KCGM) – KCGM Careers
Companies that have held contracts with the ‘Super Pit’ and Surrounding Gold Mines for shutdowns and projects in the past:
- Monadelphous – Monadelphous Careers Page – Monadelphous Linkedin Page
- Swick Mining Services – Swick Careers Page – Swick Linkedin Page
- WesTrac – WesTrac Careers Page – WesTrac Linkedin Page
- Downer – Downer Careers Page – Downer Linkedin Page
We will continually update this list overtime and share any announcements.
For the latest announcements, Major Project, Shut-down and Even-time roster jobs
Occupations Potentially Required for Jobs at the ‘Super Pit’ and Surrounding Gold Mines
- Instrumentation & Electrical Trades
- Mechanical Trades
- Gas Fitters Trades
- Formworkers / Concretors
- Plant Operators
- Mobile Plant Operators
- Cleaning Staff
- Crane Operators / Riggers / Doggers
- Labourer / Trades Assistants
- Health & Safety
Qualifications to Help you get a Job at the ‘Super Pit’ and Surrounding Gold Mines
- Relevant Trade Qualifications and / or Licences
- Occupational Health and Safety – Construction Induction (White Card)
- Drivers Licences
- Cert IV or III Instrumentation (For Electricians)
- High Risk Work Licence for any required plant, eg. EWP, Forklifts, Mobile Crane, Loaders.
- Safely Working at Heights – for EWP workers
- Safe Working in Confined Space Course
- Dogging/Rigging/Scaffolding tickets
- CPR and First Aid Certificate
- Ability to pass Medical including Drug and Alcohol screening
Interstate Licence Recognition
A helpful tool to finding out whether your trade qualification needs mutual recognition when working interstate. Check out the Cribhut Daily post – Thinking about Working Interstate – Licence Recognition
Disclaimer: Cribhut Group is not an employer or recruiter for the above mentioned site, this article is provided for information purposes only. Cribhut provides this information with the best intentions, but purely as a guide. Like most things in life, there are no guarantees. Your lively hood is your own responsibility and even if following the above recommendations, it is still up to you to do your own research, to be patient, persistent and put in the hard work.
Photo Credit (daily sunny)
The team at Cribhut
Want to stay in the loop with what jobs are going around, receive 10% off training courses, read Shared Investor and go in the draw to win gear and event tickets?
For all of the above it’s just $22 per month and you can pause, resume, cancel or contact us at anytime.