In the ‘Job Sites’ series we run over the major Australian Blue collar job sites from all over this big beautiful country of ours, plus a few other exotic locations. In each post we include an Overview of the site, a Location Profile, the Companies involved, potential Occupations required, the skills / qualifications that may help you to get your foot in the door and the Enterprise Bargaining Agreements – if there are any. This will help you to stay in the loop and know how to skill up where needed. The aim is to help you get yourself into the best position to land a start on the major job sites around Australia.
Note: ‘Job Site’ articles are aimed to help workers looking for production, maintenance, shutdown and contracting work. If you are looking for Major Construction Project Jobs you may want to check out our Major Project Articles.
About Lihir Island Gold Mine
Lihir Island is located off the North-East Island of Papua New Guinea, about 3 degrees south of the equator. One of Cribhut’s Founders actually spent 3 months working there about 12 years ago and we have spoke to other friends / contacts who have also spent time there since. Everyone says the same thing about the island – it is ridiculously beautiful!!
The Gold mine and processing facilities are situated in and around an old extinct volcano crater. One perk about mining an extinct volcano crater is that the rocks under the ground are still hot and as it is the tropics it rains most days and the mine is able to capture the steam created from the water meeting the hot rocks and use it to turn turbines in the power station. It one of the more interesting projects around.
If you don’t mind being fairly remote, love fishing, the reef, snorkelling and interacting with new cultures Lihir Island is said to be a pretty special place.
- 100% owned by Newcrest
- Lihir produced 688,714 ounces of gold in the 2015 financial year
- Employees are a mix of locals and ex-pats – about 90% are PNG nationals
- Approximately 5,000 people are employed at Lihir
- There is a combination of residential and fly-in-fly-out workers
- Newcrest Lihir Island Website
- Mobile phone coverage and public phones are also provided in the camp
- Internet is available throughout the camps
- a nine-hole golf course nearby
- a multipurpose basketball/volleyball court
- a large football field.
- Gymnasiums are available in two of the camps.
- Also at the Lihir Sports and Social Club there are:
- tennis and squash courts
- a swimming pool
- pool table
- a children’s play area
- bistro and bar service
- and an outdoor deck that looks out over the ocean and surrounding islands
Companies Involved with Jobs at Lihir Island Gold Mine
- Newcrest – Newcrest Careers Page
Companies that have held contracts with Lihir Island Gold Mine for projects in the past:
- Monadelphous – Million Ounce Plant Upgrade Project Overview – Monadelphous Careers Page
- Downer – Geo-thermal Powerstation Construction – Downer Careers Page
- Contract Resources -TSA Vessel Loading LIHIR O2 Plant Project – Project Overview – Contract Resources Careers Page
We will continually update this list overtime and share any announcements.
To stay up to date with live announcements, Shutdown jobs, Major Project jobs and Even-time roster jobs follow – Job Watch at Cribhut Premium
Occupations Potentially Required for Jobs at Lihir Island Gold Mine
Note: The Majority of ex-pat employees on Lihir Island are in Supervising, Training and Management positions. However many larger projects / upgrades employ Australian trades. Either way a background in the below could possibly help you get a foot in:
- Instrumentation & Electrical Trades
- Mechanical Trades
- Gas Fitters Trades
- Formworkers / Concretors
- Plant Operators
- Mobile Plant Operators
- Cleaning Staff
- Crane Operators / Riggers / Doggers
- Labourer / Trades Assistants
- Health & Safety
Qualifications to Help you get a Job at Lihir Island Gold Mine
- Relevant Trade Qualifications and / or Licences
- Occupational Health and Safety – Construction Induction (White Card)
- Drivers Licences
- Cert IV or III Instrumentation (For Electricians)
- High Risk Work Licence for any required plant, eg. EWP, Forklifts, Mobile Crane, Loaders.
- Safely Working at Heights – for EWP workers
- Safe Working in Confined Space Course
- Dogging/Rigging/Scaffolding tickets
- CPR and First Aid Certificate
- Ability to pass Medical including Drug and Alcohol screening
- Experience working in developing countries
- Experience working with other cultures
Interstate Licence Recognition
A helpful tool to finding out whether your trade qualification needs mutual recognition when working interstate. Check out the Cribhut Daily post – Thinking about Working Interstate – Licence Recognition
Disclaimer: Cribhut Group is not an employer or recruiter for the above mentioned site, this article is provided for information purposes only. Cribhut provides this information with the best intentions, but purely as a guide. Like most things in life, there are no guarantees. Your lively hood is your own responsibility and even if following the above recommendations, it is still up to you to do your own research, to be patient, persistent and put in the hard work.
Photo Credit (daily sunny)
The team at Cribhut
Want to stay in the loop with what jobs are going around, receive 10% off training courses, read Shared Investor and go in the draw to win gear and event tickets?
For all of the above it’s just $22 per month and you can pause, resume, cancel or contact us at anytime.