In the ‘Job Sites’ series we run over the major Australian Blue collar job sites from all over this big beautiful country of ours. In each post we include an Overview of the site, a Location Profile, the Companies involved, potential Occupations required, the skills / qualifications that may help you to get your foot in the door and the Enterprise Bargaining Agreements – if there are any. This will help you to stay in the loop and know how to skill up where needed. The aim is to help you get yourself into the best position to land a start on the major job sites around Australia.
Note: ‘Job Site’ articles are aimed to help workers looking for production, maintenance, shutdown and contracting work. If you are looking for Major Construction Project Jobs you may want to check out our Major Project Articles.
About Boyne Smelters
Boyne Smelters Limited (BSL) is located on Boyne Island (near Gladstone) in Central Queensland. Boyne Smelters is the largest Aluminium Smelter in Australia producing more than 500,000 tonnes of Aluminium per year.
- Directly employs approximately 1,050 people.
- Over 120 other various contract employees.
- Boyne Smelters is managed by Pacific Aluminium, a division of Rio Tinto Alcan.
- Located 20km south of Gladstone.
- Boyne Smelters Website
- Side note: If you are a fisherman – the Southern Great Barrier Reef is only about 15 nautical miles offshore.
Companies Involved with Jobs at the Boyne Smelters
- Pacific Aluminium – Pacific Aluminium Careers Page
Companies that have held / hold contracts with Boyne Smelters
- Monadelphous (Mechanical & Electrical) – Monadelphous Careers Page – Monadelphous Linkedin Page
- McCoskers (Civil Construction) – McCoskers Careers Page
- Aestec Services (Building, Plumbing & Civil) – Aestec Services Careers Page
We will continually update this list overtime.
To stay up to date with live announcements, Shutdown jobs, Major Project jobs and Even-time roster jobs follow – Job Watch at Cribhut Premium
Occupations Potentially Required for Jobs at Boyne Smelters
- Instrumentation & Electrical Trades
- Mechanical Trades
- Gas Fitters Trades
- Formworkers / Concretors
- Plant Operators
- Mobile Plant Operators
- Cleaning Staff
- Crane Operators / Riggers / Doggers
- Labourer / Trades Assistants
- Health & Safety
Qualifications to Help you get a Job at Boyne Smelters
- Relevant Trade Qualifications and / or QLD Licences
- Occupational Health and Safety – Construction Induction (White Card)
- Australian Drivers Licences
- Maritime Security Identification Card (MSIC)
- Cert IV or III Instrumentation (For Electricians)
- High Risk Work Licence for any required plant, eg. EWP, Forklifts, Mobile Crane, Loaders.
- Safely Working at Heights – for EWP workers
- Safe Working in Confined Space Course
- Dogging/Rigging/Scaffolding tickets
- CPR and First Aid Certificate
- Ability to pass Medical including Drug and Alcohol screening
Interstate Licence Recognition
A helpful tool to finding out whether your trade qualification needs mutual recognition when working interstate. Check out the Cribhut Daily post – Thinking about Working Interstate – Licence Recognition
Disclaimer: Cribhut Group is not an employer or recruiter for the above mentioned site, this article is provided for information purposes only. Cribhut provides this information with the best intentions, but purely as a guide. Like most things in life, there are no guarantees. Your lively hood is your own responsibility and even if following the above recommendations, it is still up to you to do your own research, to be patient, persistent and put in the hard work.
Photo Credit (daily sunny)
The team at Cribhut
Want to stay in the loop with what jobs are going around, receive 10% off training courses, better manage your tickets and resumes?
For all of the above it’s just $12 per month and you can pause, resume, cancel
or contact us at anytime.