In the ‘Watching for jobs …….’ series we are going to be running over Australian Mining and Construction projects all over the country. In each post we will include an Overview of the project, a Location Profile, the Companies involved, the Occupations required, the skills / qualifications that will help you to get your foot in the door and the Enterprise Bargaining Agreements. This will help you to stay in the loop and know how to skill up where needed. The aim is to help you get yourself into the best position to land a start on the major sites and projects around Australia.
About the New Acland Coal Mine Stage 3 Project
New Hope Group is the owner of the New Acland Coal Mine, north-west of Oakey in Queensland. In 2012 the State Government announced it wouldn’t support the Stage 3 Project as it was proposed. New Acland have stated that without the expansion of the new project operations would close in 2017. Stage 3 would allow operations to be continued until approximately 2029. It now looks like there is a decent chance that Stage 3 may go ahead.
- 35 km outside of Toowoomba, QLD
- Owner – New Hope Group
- Project scope approximately $896 million
- Approximately 260 construction jobs at peak
- Approximately 435 operations jobs at peak
- Environmental Impact Statement approved with conditions
- Mining Lease approval still pending.
- Subject to the Mining Lease being approved,construction should commence towards the end of 2016.
- Scope of work includes:
- Coal Handling and Preparation Plant;
- Materials Handling Facility;
- Optional Overland Conveyor;
- Train Load-out and Rail spur and loop; and
- Civil works and offsite infrastructure.
- The New Acland Project has an information portal here.
- The Queensland Government has an information portal here.
Occupations Potentially Required at the New Acland Coal Mine Stage 3 Project
A coal mining construction job like this will usually require:
- Electrical Trades
- Mechanical Trades
- Metal Trades
- Formworkers / Concretors
- Dogging / Rigging / Scaffolding
- Mobile Plant Operators / Truck Drivers
- Crane Operators
- Labourers / Trades Assistants /
- Peggy’s /Cleaning Staff
- Health & Safety
Qualifications to help you get a foot in at the New Acland Coal Mine Stage 3 Project
- Relevant Trade Qualifications and / or QLD Licences
- Occupational Health and Safety – Construction Induction (White Card)
- Australian Drivers Licences
- A Coal Mine Medical
- A Standard 11 Coal Mine Induction
- High Risk Work Licence for any required plant, eg. EWP, Forklifts, Mobile Crane, Loaders.
- Safely Working at Heights – for EWP workers
- Ability to pass Medical including Drug and Alcohol screening
- Dogging/Rigging/Scaffolding tickets
- CPR and First Aid Certificate
Companies / Organisations Involved with the New Acland Coal Mine Stage 3 Project
- New Hope Group – owner of New Acland Mine and the New Acland Coal Mine Stage 3 Project.
Only design and consulting contracts have been awarded so far. As soon as we are aware that blue collar employers have been awarded contracts we will update this space.
For the latest announcements, Major Project, Shut-down and Even-time roster jobs
Interstate Licence Recognition
A helpful tool to finding out whether your trade qualification needs mutual recognition when working interstate.
Check out the Cribhut Daily post – Thinking about Working Interstate – Licence Recognition
New Acland Coal Mine Stage 3 Project Union Greenfields Enterprise Bargaining Agreements
An Enterprise Bargaining Agreement (EBA) is a collective industrial agreement between either an employer and a trade union acting on behalf of employees or an employer and employees acting for themselves.
At this stage of the project no EBA’s are available for the New Acland Coal Mine Stage 3 Project. As any EBA’s are released they will be updated into this article.
Disclaimer: Cribhut provides this information with the best intentions, but purely as a guide. Like most things in life, there are no guarantees. Your lively hood is your own responsibility and even if following the above recommendations, it is still up to you to do your own research, to be patient, persistent and put in the hard work.
Photo Credit (daily sunny)
The team at Cribhut
Want to stay in the loop with what jobs are going around, receive 10% off training courses, better manage your tickets and resumes?
For all of the above it’s just $12 per month and you can pause, resume, cancel
or contact us at anytime.