In the ‘Watching for jobs …….’ series we are going to be running over Australian Mining and Construction projects all over the country. In each post we will include an Overview of the project, a Location Profile, the Companies involved, the Occupations required, the skills / qualifications that will help you to get your foot in the door and the Enterprise Bargaining Agreements. This will help you to stay in the loop and know how to skill up where needed. The aim is to help you get yourself into the best position to land a start on the major sites and projects around Australia.
About the Barcaldine Solar Farm Project
The Barcaldine Solar Farm is currently in the planning phase. They have planning a 25 megawatt solar project to be located in central western Queensland 5 km’s west of Barcaldine.
- Planned and developed by the Barcaldine Remote Community Solar Farm Pty Ltd (BRCSF)
- BRCSF is owned by Elecnor
- Project scope approximately $69 million
- 175 jobs are expected to be created during construction
- Construction began end of 2015, expected to be completed within 12 months
- Commissioning is expected for beginning of 2017
- Due for completion in April 2017
- The Barcaldine Solar Farm Project has an information portal here.
- The Australian Government has an information portal here.
Occupations Potentially Required at the Barcaldine Solar Farm Project
We expect a construction job like this will require:
- Electrical Trades
- Mechanical Trades
- Metal Trades
- Formworkers / Concretors
- Dogging / Rigging / Scaffolding
- Mobile Plant Operators / Truck Drivers
- Crane Operators
- Labourers / Trades Assistants /
- Peggy’s /Cleaning Staff
- Health & Safety
Qualifications to help you get a foot in at the Barcaldine Solar Farm Project
- Relevant Trade Qualifications and / or QLD Licences
- Occupational Health and Safety – Construction Induction (White Card)
- Australian Drivers Licences
- High Risk Work Licence for any required plant, eg. EWP, Forklifts, Mobile Crane, Loaders.
- Safely Working at Heights – for EWP workers
- Ability to pass Medical including Drug and Alcohol screening
- Dogging/Rigging/Scaffolding tickets
- CPR and First Aid Certificate
Companies / Organisations Involved with the Barcaldine Solar Farm Project
- Elecnor – owner of BRCSF.
- Green Light Contractors (GLC) – is a 100% owned subsidiary of Elecnor Australia. They are the projects Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC) manager.
- All major agreements will be with GLC directly.
- Small local contractors – Apparently some small local contractors have receive some initial contracts.
Note: We are not aware of any employment registration of interest portals as yet. However there is a contact from on this page that may be worth you using to get in touch and ask for the correct contact for your occupation.
For the latest announcements, Major Project, Shut-down and Even-time roster jobs
Interstate Licence Recognition
A helpful tool to finding out whether your trade qualification needs mutual recognition when working interstate.
Check out the Cribhut Daily post – Thinking about Working Interstate – Licence Recognition
Barcaldine Solar Farm Project Union Greenfields Enterprise Bargaining Agreements
An Enterprise Bargaining Agreement (EBA) is a collective industrial agreement between either an employer and a trade union acting on behalf of employees or an employer and employees acting for themselves.
At this stage of the project no EBA’s are available for the Barcaldine Solar Farm Project. As any EBA’s are released they will be updated into this article.
Disclaimer: Cribhut provides this information with the best intentions, but purely as a guide. Like most things in life, there are no guarantees. Your lively hood is your own responsibility and even if following the above recommendations, it is still up to you to do your own research, to be patient, persistent and put in the hard work.
Photo Credit (daily sunny)
The team at Cribhut
Want to stay in the loop with what jobs are going around, receive 10% off training courses, read Shared Investor and go in the draw to win gear and event tickets?
For all of the above it’s just $22 per month and you can pause, resume, cancel or contact us at anytime.