In the ‘How to get a job at …….’ series we are going to be running over Australian Mining and Construction projects all over the country. In each post we will include an Overview of the project, a Location Profile, the Companies involved, the Occupations required, the skills / qualifications that will help you to get your foot in the door and the Enterprise Bargaining Agreements. This will help you to stay in the loop and know how to skill up where needed. The aim is to help you get yourself into the best position to land a start on the major sites and projects around Australia.
About the Monash Children’s Hospital Project
From the Monash Children’s Hospital website
The new state-of-the-art Monash Children’s Hospital will be based at Clayton and provide 230 beds within a dedicated child and family friendly paediatric environment.
The Monash Children’s Hospital service profile will include:
- Acute Paediatric Inpatient beds: 96
- Paediatric Intensive Care Unit beds: 10
- Neonatal Care beds (ie Monash Newborn): 64
- Same Day Medical and Surgical beds: 20
- Same Day Oncology beds: 12
- Neurodevelopmental Psychiatry beds: 8
- Early in Life Mental Health Service beds: 20
- Operating Theatres: 3 plus a dedicated Endoscopy Suite
- Outpatient Consulting and Allied Health Therapy spaces
- Imaging Modalities – 3 modalities including 1 MRI and Mock MRI, 2 Xray and 4 Ultrasound
The construction of the new Monash Children’s Hospital will work to the following schedule :
- June 2014 – Helipad relocated from site
- July 2014 – Construction work commence on site
- September 2014 – Commencement of concrete structure
- October 2014 – Erection of first crane
- November 2014 – Erection of second crane
- August 2015 – Concrete structure complete
- October 2015 – Facade envelope complete
- Late 2016 – Building works complete
From the Vic Government website
Construction has begun on the new Monash Children’s Hospital in Clayton, creating more than 700 construction-related jobs.
“This $250 million Monash Children’s Hospital in Clayton is part of our commitment to build a healthier south east region, and a healthier Victoria. Construction of the four-level hospital is expected to be completed by late 2016, and will generate more than 700 construction-related jobs.” ”Dr Napthine said.
Location Profile – Melbourne
Garden City, Port Phillip, Yarra River, St Kilda, Fitzroy, Federation Square, MCG, Docklands, Four Seasons In a Day, Tourism, Finance, Commerce, Manufacturing, AFL, Melbourne Cup, Cricket, Nightlife, Bars, Shopping, Art Galleries, Cafes, Laneways, Beaches, Swimming, Cycling, Live Music, Culture
Population 3.999,982 (2011 ABS)
Melbourne – Rents as at Jul 2012
2 Bed 1 Bath – $210 – $650
3 Bed 1 Bath – $200 – $720
4 Bed 2 Bath – $275 – $2100
Melbourne – House Prices as at Jul 2012
2 Bed 1 Bath – $185,000 – $770,000
3 Bed 1 Bath – $195,000– $1.750,000
4 Bed 2 Bath – $265,000 – $2.420,000
|Climate data for Melbourne|
|Record high °C||45.6||46.4||41.7||34.9||28.7||22.4||23.1||26.5||31.4||36.9||40.9||43.7||46.4|
|Average high °C||25.9||25.8||23.9||20.3||16.7||14.1||13.5||15.0||17.2||19.7||22.0||24.2||19.9|
|Average low °C||14.3||14.6||13.2||10.8||8.6||6.9||6.0||6.7||8.0||9.5||11.2||12.9||10.2|
|Record low °C||5.5||4.5||2.8||1.5||−1.1||−2.2||−2.8||−2.1||−0.5||0.1||2.5||4.4||−2.8|
|Avg. rainy days||8.4||7.5||9.4||11.8||14.6||15.4||16.1||16.1||14.9||14.2||11.8||10.4||150.6|
Companies Involved with the Monash Children’s Hospital Project
Lend Lease – Lend Lease Building Contractors has been appointed the managing contractor for the construction of the new Monash Children’s Hospital.
Sub-contractors will be engaged for different works through out the length of the project, so far the following have been awarded work :
Downer Infrastructure – EW Electrical.
Cooke & Dowsett – EW Hydraulics & Hydraulic ECI.
CDL & Fitzgerald – Excavation, Retention and Tunnel.
Contractfire – Fire Services.
AG Coombs – Mechanical ECI.
Form 700 – Structure (Main incl. structural precast).
ThyssenKrupp – Elevators (Vertical Transportation).
Occupations Required at the Monash Children’s Hospital Project
- Electrical Trades
- Mechanical Trades
- Building Trades
- Mobile Plant Operator / Truck Driver
- Cleaning Staff
- Crane Operators
- Labourer / Trades Assistant
- Metal Trades
- Health & Safety
Qualifications to help you get a foot in at the Monash Children’s Hospital Project
- Relevant Trade Qualifications and / or VIC Licences
- Occupational Health and Safety – Construction Induction (White Card)
- Australian Drivers Licences
- High Risk Work Licence for any required plant, eg. EWP, Forklifts, Mobile Crane, Loaders.
- Safely Working at Heights – for EWP workers
- Ability to pass Medical including Drug and Alcohol screening
- Dogging/Rigging/Scaffolding tickets
- CPR and First Aid Certificate
Interstate Licence Recognition
A helpful tool to finding out whether your trade qualification needs mutual recognition when working interstate.
Check out the Cribhut Daily post – Thinking about Working Interstate – Licence Recognition
Monash Children’s Hospital Project Union Enterprise Bargaining Agreements
An Enterprise Bargaining Agreement (EBA) is a collective industrial agreement between either an employer and a trade union acting on behalf of employees or an employer and employees acting for themselves.
At this stage of the project no EBA’s can be found. As this project moves forward the appropraite EBA’s will be uploaded into this article.
Disclaimer: Cribhut provides this information with the best intentions, but purely as a guide. Like most things in life, there are no guarantees. Your lively hood is your own responsibility and even if following the above recommendations, it is still up to you to do your own research, to be patient, persistent and put in the hard work.
Photo Credit (daily sunny)
The team at Cribhut
Want to stay in the loop with what jobs are going around, receive 10% off training courses, better manage your tickets and resumes?
For all of the above it’s just $12 per month and you can pause, resume, cancel
or contact us at anytime.