In the ‘How to get a job at …….’ series we are going to be running over Australian Mining and Construction projects all over the country. In each post we will include an Overview of the project, a Location Profile, the Companies involved, the Occupations required, the skills / qualifications that will help you to get your foot in the door and the Enterprise Bargaining Agreements. This will help you to stay in the loop and know how to skill up where needed. The aim is to help you get yourself into the best position to land a start on the major sites and projects around Australia.
About the Perth Stadium and Sports Precinct Project
From the Perth Stadium website
“The new Perth Stadium development heralds a new and exciting chapter in the transformation of our city. Site works are well underway and the Perth Stadium Project is on track for completion in time for the start of the 2018 AFL season.” Colin Barnett, WA Premier.
The commitment to a ‘fans first’ stadium has resulted in an innovative design ensuring an exceptional event atmosphere and home ground advantage that can only be experienced by being there. The design acknowledges Western Australia’s unique sporting, cultural and Aboriginal heritage and the Sports Precinct landscape provides a spectacular vista across the Swan River to the City.
The multi-purpose 60,000 seat new Perth Stadium will be a world-class venue…
Stadium – key “fans first” features
- Future-proofed stadium technology will be provided, including full 4G Wi-Fi coverage across the Stadium and Sports Precinct.
- Two 240m² giant video screens are some of the largest in Australia and will use the latest technology when the Stadium opens in 2018.
- Over 1,000 TV screens are strategically located throughout the interior of the Stadium so fans never miss the action.
- A Children’s Activity Zone within the Stadium.
- Fans will be able to utilise more than 70 food and beverage outlets and still be able to view the action on the field.
- A buffet and a la carte restaurant over-looking the Swan River provide a destination for patrons both pre and post‑game plus on non-event days.
- The Stadium will include the widest range of seating and hospitality options of any stadia in Australia.
- Cup holders are included in every seat and seats themselves will be a minimum of 50cm wide, maximising comfort for fans.
- Fans requiring higher levels of support and accessibility have access to designated seating platforms across all seating tiers, parking spaces within the Sports Precinct and adult changing rooms that provide larger cubicles and additional facilities.
Stadium – key design features
- A multi-purpose Stadium accommodating AFL, cricket and entertainment events with drop-in seats adding flexibility to host rugby union and league, and soccer (football). Capability to host major events consistent with requirements for Commonwealth Games and international athletics.
- Designed to increase the seating capacity within the existing structure, adding up to 10,000 additional seats.
- The unique bronze façade uses anodised aluminium which reflects WA’s unique geology by day and, using state of the art LED lighting, home team colours by night.
- The seating bowl maximises the atmosphere, gives fans exceptional views and brings them close to the action, providing a special home ground advantage for our teams.
- The lightweight fabric roof covers 85% of seats and responds to Perth’s climatic conditions. At night, it will present a spectacular glowing halo effect.
- Start-of-the-art team facilities include flexible warm-up and recovery areas.
From the Brookfield Multiplex website
The Westadium consortium – led by Brookfield and John Laing – has reached financial close with the West Australian State Government on the new Perth Stadium and Sports Precinct. The signing of the contract for the Westadium consortium to design, build, partially finance and maintain the new Perth Stadium and Sports Precinct paves the way for work to begin on site at the end of this year (2015), with the Perth Stadium to be completed in time for the 2018 AFL season.
The Westadium consortium provides specialist expertise for each stage of the Perth Stadium’s life :
- John Laing is the investor and manager for the project;
- Brookfield Multiplex is the design and construction contractor;
- Brookfield Financial is the financial adviser; and
- Brookfield Johnson Controls is the facilities manager for 25 years.
Location Profile – Perth
Perth, Rottnest Island, Swan River, Fremantle, Rockingham, Cottesloe Beach, Mining Industry Bases, Manufacturing, Tourism, Beaches, AFL, Surfing, Swimming, Fishing, Boating, Nightlife, Snorkelling, 4×4, Cycling, Golf, Shopping
Population: 1.728,800 (Greater Perth) 2011 ABS
Perth – Rents as at Jul 2012
2 Bed 1 Bath – $190 – $650
3 Bed 1 Bath – $260 – $ 700
4 Bed 2 Bath – $ 320 – $ 1950
Perth – House Prices as at Jul 2012
2 Bed 1 Bath – $150,000 – $1.000,000
3 Bed 1 Bath – $200,000– $2.590,000
4 Bed 2 Bath – $340,000 – $4.500,000
|Climate data for Perth|
|Average high °C||31.1||31.4||29.6||25.7||22.5||19.3||18.3||18.9||20.1||23.1||26.4||28.9||24.6|
|Avg. Rainy days||2.5||2.1||4.1||6.7||11.3||15.1||17.4||15.7||15.4||8.9||6.1||3.8||109.1|
Companies Involved with the Perth Stadium and Sports Precinct Project
John Laing – Managing the Perth Stadium project.
Click here to go through to John Laing website.
Brookfield Multiplex – is the design and construction contractor.
Click here to go through to Brookfield Multiplex website.
Occupations Required at the Perth Stadium and Sports Precinct Project
- Building Trades
- Electrical workers
- Mobile Plant Operator / Truck Driver
- Cleaning and Catering Staff
- Crane Operators
- Labourer / Trades Assistant
- Health & Safety
Qualifications to help you get a foot in at the Perth Stadium and Sports Precinct Project
- Relevant Trade Qualifications and / or NSW Licences
- Occupational Health and Safety – Construction Induction (White Card)
- Australian Drivers Licences
- High Risk Work Licence for any required plant, eg. EWP, Forklifts, Mobile Crane, Loaders.
- Safely Working at Heights – for EWP workers
- Ability to pass Medical including Drug and Alcohol screening
- Dogging/Rigging/Scaffolding tickets
- CPR and First Aid Certificate
Interstate Licence Recognition
A helpful tool to finding out whether your trade qualification needs mutual recognition when working interstate.
Check out the Cribhut Daily post – Thinking about Working Interstate – Licence Recognition
Perth Stadium and Sports Precinct Project Union Enterprise Bargaining Agreements
An Enterprise Bargaining Agreement (EBA) is a collective industrial agreement between either an employer and a trade union acting on behalf of employees or an employer and employees acting for themselves.
At this stage the project has not commenced and no EBA’s can be found. EBA’s will be uploaded in article as they are announced.
Disclaimer: Cribhut provides this information with the best intentions, but purely as a guide. Like most things in life, there are no guarantees. Your lively hood is your own responsibility and even if following the above recommendations, it is still up to you to do your own research, to be patient, persistent and put in the hard work.
Photo Credit (daily sunny)
The team at Cribhut
Want to stay in the loop with what jobs are going around, receive 10% off training courses, read Shared Investor and go in the draw to win gear and event tickets?
For all of the above it’s just $22 per month and you can pause, resume, cancel or contact us at anytime.